Publicado29 Nov 2012
Livingstone ‘Mosi O Tunya City’ is the southern most Zambian city, 470 km from Lusaka, was founded in 1905 with a population estimated at 136,897 ( 2010 census ). It is strategically located with a mighty jewel of the Mosi O Tunya ( the smoke that thunders ) or Victoria Falls, a UNESCO recognised world heritage site, one of the seven natural wonders of the world and a magnificent spectacle on the great Zambezi River, where the country draws its name from. The city will in 2013 jointly host the 20th session of the United Nations World Tourism General Assembly ( UN WTO ), together with sister city ,Victoria Fallstown of Zimbabwe, with an expected huge turnout of delegates and tourists.
The 6th Insaka International Artists Workshop ( Insakartists 2013 ), will take place during the period of UN WTO General Assembly alongside many other cultural events and tourist adventures. Insakartists 2013 is going to be a ‘camping workshop’ at the Livingstone Visual Arts Centre located in the middle of the tourism precinct, hence many visitors are expected. The theme of the workshop ‘Heritage Links’ artists are expected to develop ideas that will interpret the them in their own understanding, develop linkages that will evoke creative curiosity and cultural connections, artists are expected to show case their diverse linkages between experience and encounter, social engagement with unknown and unfamiliar people and environment.
- Artists are expected to camp in individual tents that shall be provided.
- Evening artists presentations and intellectual discussions are compulsory, therefore artists are expected to attend. Guest curators, administrators and professionals are expected to give talks
- A central working studio space shall be available, artists are also free to work on individual studio spaces.
- Basic art materials shall be provided however artists are encouraged to explore non conventional materials and objects to create art expressions that will evolve around the theme.
- It is camping workshop therefore selected artists will be expected to abide by camping rules within parameters of a Mosi O Tunya National Park.
- The campsite is located inside the National Park , Insakartists Trust is working closely with Zambia Wildlife Authority ( ZAWA ) will work closely work with artists during the workshop period to assist or provide protection and guidance.
- Excursions to tourist attractions of Livingstone shall be provided and a collaborative artistic tour of Victoria Falls Town, Zimbabwe will be part of the programme.
- Massive publicity is expected during the workshop as much there will be local, regional and international media reporting on various aspects of the UN WTO event.
- Selected artists are expected to pay participation fee of $100.00 upon arrival for international artists and for local artists $20.00 cash payment, one week before the workshop.
- Note: Applicants within the continent of Africa are advised to check for Art Moves Africa time table for travel grants, if need be of travel assistance. Visit website www.artmovesafrica.org
For further inquiries contact Vincentio Phiri and Zenzele Chulu
Mobile: + 260 966 767 214 / + 260 977 978 850 / + 260 977 531 335 / 0955 531 335
Telefax: + 260 211 254440
Insakartists Organising Committee